Friday, May 16, 2008

Mail order seedlings...


Those of you who work with me this summer might be lucky enough to get some homegrown (and organic!) peppers and tomatoes as part of your session. But, as much as I'm an optimist, don't completely count on it as my gardening record is not so, um, green.

Actually, other than hiring a gardener, I think I've actually got a Jen-proof method down. I purchased Earthboxes, which are these really cool containers that claim they cannot be over- or under-watered and self-feed themselves (the best part of all about that was that I didn't have to dig up my yard anywhere for a garden--and when we actually buid a deck, if this is a success, I plan to have a spot on the deck just for my Earthbox garden); and an automatic watering system. See, Jen-proof. As long as I don't need to water it and can't overwater it, I think I'm set.

These are the last seedlings to go in, which I had shipped to me from an organic seedling company in California. I've gone completely nuts--trust me, for someone with as poor of a record of gardening as I have, I don't know what I'm thinking, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Here's what been and being planted: strawberries (haven't killed them yet--I've got green ones!); beans; peas; tomatoes (roma paste, a few heirlooms, cherry); peppers (red, green, purple!); squash (butternut, acorn, butterstick, zucchini); cucumbers; eggplant; melons; and herbs.

Pictures of my success (or lack thereof) to come; and any gardening/growing tips/good luck appreciated. :)

1 comment:

mom23 said...

I'm really trying to work up the courage to try a garden. I'm so impressed that you have done all this! I'm going to go look at these boxes of yours. Since we are renting I'm stuck with finding containers and this may be a great solution!

(And thrilled to find out that you are still blogging! I MISS you!!)